Tuesday, February 21, 2012

WHITE belt rules

Testing is March 24; just over one month away(!). It's going to be a BIG test class, too.

Class last night was a big mix of everything. We covered punches, kicks, and blocks first as usual. Then we sparred for several rounds. Then to cool down we did forms.

Sparring those guys was a bit different than last week at the main dojang. Some of them were still helpful, but... there was one who was kind of a jerk. I'm well aware that I'm going to get hit while sparring, but it's supposed to be LIGHT contact. This guy hit me several times in the headgear much more than even half-strength. And it sure shouldn't have been an issue of control on his part, because he's a high ranking belt. So, I don't know what his problem was. Between being somewhat dazed from the worst of those hits and just honestly still out of shape, I was having a really hard time breathing. I almost asked for a break to go get my inhaler, but I pushed through it instead. After class, Mr Saxton explained more about the best breathing techniques. He also mentioned that breathing would be covered in depth this weekend at the systema workshop. Hopefully that will prove helpful.

Anyway, even though class last night was kinda rough, I'm looking forward to Friday (and Saturday). Maybe they'll go better.

No comments:

Post a Comment