Saturday, February 25, 2012

Up and down, in and out

This'll be a short one. I am feeling under the weather. I did manage to make it to the noon class yesterday and the 2-hour systema seminar this morning.

Class did NOT go well for me yesterday, because I was already not feeling my best and both my concentration and retention were clearly affected. Kind of disheartening, but everyone has their off days so I'm trying not to dwell on it.

After class I went to one of my favorite little isolated stretches of beach where I knew I could be alone. I found the best patches of hardened sand and worked on my forms to the sound and breath of the ocean. The sand still shifted plenty so I wasn't too focused on technique so much as the spirit of the forms. It was meditative and I was able to kiap fiercely in my solitude.

The workshop today was pretty interesting and useful. I picked up some really good tips on breathing more effectively. We learned how different methods of breathing can be used/manipulated depending on the work you need your body to do. I also learned some full body relaxation methods that seemed to help me a lot more than trying to just tense then relax an isolated area. I find that maybe in that sense I'm TOO detail oriented, and I cause myself more tension rather than less. When I'm mindful of the big picture though (tensing then relaxing my WHOLE body in sequence), it comes easier and the results are instantly noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment