Friday, February 10, 2012

Progress

Class at the main studio today! It was a good class, I thought. It was only me and another white belt which was kind of a nice change of pace.

We blazed through forms and self defense, then we learned some systema ideas about relaxation and body whole-ness. Interesting stuff, but somehow far easier to understand than to actually USE. Bits of it reminded me of yoga, and I think the awareness of my body I gained from yoga and learning to treat it as a whole unit rather than the sum of its individual parts helps me now with the systema concepts. Even though we've talked about some of these concepts in a handful of my regular classes, I'm excited that there is going to be a systema seminar here in town later this month. Hopefully that will be very useful as far as getting some practice and learning to relax and respond that way.

Mrs Saxton mentioned that I should be testing in March! I'm simultaneously giddy and nervous. I'm glad to know that she's confident of my abilities, but I've got to work on my OWN confidence in myself. Some of it's coming with time, though. I felt really good today about my performance and how much better I'm remembering things.

My gear hasn't arrived yet, so still no sparring for me tonight. :-( But I should get it Monday, so if there happens to be time for it during Monday night's class: it's on!

No comments:

Post a Comment