Sunday, January 15, 2012

White Belt Optimism

I have always wanted to study martial arts. During my childhood it was never possible, either due to local (un)availability or cost. Now at the age of 27, I'm finally fulfilling this dream.

The first week of January I attended a local adult Tae Kwon Do class as a spectator on Monday, then returned Wednesday for a free trial class. In my t-shirt and sweats it was glaringly obvious that I was new. The Wednesday class is generally comprised of forms and self defense, so I basically had to just jump in and try to follow along as well as possible. I spent much of the hour feeling incredibly clumsy and awkward but both instructors (Mr & Mrs Saxton) assured me that I was doing well for a beginner. After class was over I got a chance to talk to them briefly about officially signing up, as well as expressing my concern/questions regarding the issue of my left foot. They both seemed to feel that it shouldn't pose much of an issue and that in the few instances where it may, I can easily work around it.

Which brings me to this week when I officially got started. I showed up early to class on Tuesday and was presented with my dobok, or uniform. I changed and everything went smoothly until it came to the belt. Even though I'd previously looked up how to tie it, actually doing so was a different story. Mrs Saxton had to help me get it right. That class was generally spent on punches, kicks & blocks, but it was modified a bit as there were only two of us white belts and an orange belt. Once we'd run through those, we also got to work on forms.

I wonder already if Forms might not end up being the hardest part about TKD for me. They are set patterns of movement that you learn and memorize. I gather that the intent is to build up muscle memory so that these sequences of imaginary battle become naturally ingrained. For each new rank/belt there are at least 1-2 different forms that you are required to learn. Anyone who has spent much time with me knows that my memory (for anything other than music) is spotty at best. I never have done well at rote memorization. Learning/mastering my forms will likely be the biggest task of discipline and patience that I will face.

At any rate, I really enjoyed my classes this week. Each time I leave the dojang, I start looking forward to the next class! It's exciting learning something new and pushing my body to work in ways it never has before.

No comments:

Post a Comment