Monday, January 16, 2012

Ouch

So. Tonight was my fourth class and I have already managed to hurt myself. Given as clumsy I am, I'm not sure whether maybe I ought to be proud I at least made it this far first....

Also, in my defense, it is/was an issue with my left foot which I couldn't have predicted. It's going to be a trial and error thing-learning what limitations I may have with it. My second toe is gone and my third toe appears normal length but is in fact missing the first joint. Which basically means that I cannot flex my left foot much at all. Not generally a problem and my balance is luckily unaffected, but it remains to be seen what effects this may have on my TKD practice.

In today's case, during a particular kicking exercise I must have unconsciously tried to point my toes way too hard and when I made impact with the pad it jammed or otherwise forced the two problem metatarsals back enough to aggravate a nerve. It happened towards the beginning of class and made it very difficult to bear half or all my weight on my left leg. But, I worked through the pain and treated my foot when I got home. Hopefully it'll feel better tomorrow before I go to work to stand on it for 8 hours straight.

Today was a punches, kicks and blocks day BUT we also had a chance to run through our forms briefly. The practice I've done at home to memorize the sequence definitely seems to have helped. I didn't feel nearly as lost this time and I think I made fewer mistakes overall.

I won't get to go to class again this week until Friday, but it'll be at the main studio and I tend to enjoy those classes better. At the class here in town there are usually two junior black belt boys in their teens who can be somewhat distracting. Nice kids, but distracting. Also, there are other adult beginners at the main studio so I don't feel quite so out of my league there.

No comments:

Post a Comment